We spend a lot of our hard earned cash on unnecessary expenses and things that we can repair ourselves instead of calling a ‘handy-man.’ In our country help like that can be difficult to find and when you do they are sometimes unreliable or they charge way too much… but don’t fret. Here are five home repairs you really should know how to do yourself :
- Prepping your paint jobs like a pro: Whether you want to paint a whole room or just need to cover a nail hole, nothing helps to maintain or improve the appearance of a room like paint. Before you start collecting colour swatches, there are some things to keep in mind. Painting, when it’s done well, can increase the value of your home and add style and flair to your space. Start by removing any fixtures or hardware that might get in the way of your project. After you have an unobstructed shot at the walls, clean them with a damp sponge or a dry cloth. Now you’re ready to mask any molding, built-ins and baseboards with painter’s tape and start laying down drop cloths. After that, painting your room will be easy.
- Dealing with doors: From squeaks to sticking, door problems are usually minor but can be a nuisance. Tighten loose screws by first placing a door wedge on the latch end of the door to balance the weight. If the screws look OK but the door meets resistance when it closes, make a note of the tight spots.
- Applying Caulk: Caulk is the bead of rubbery stuff between your tub, shower or sink and the wall, or between your toilet’s outer rim and the floor. Over time, caulk can discolour or deteriorate, leaving your home vulnerable to water damage and mold growth. If you don’t have much confidence in your ability to lay down a smooth, even bead of caulk, there are caulk strips on the market that you simply unroll and press into place. They take the artistry out of the process but are a pretty foolproof solution if you want to do the job in a hurry and have a standard installation.
- Repairing a faucet washer: Fixing a leaky faucet is one of the most common household repairs. It sounds like an insignificant problem, but all those drips add up. If you want to stop a leaky faucet without expert intervention, the process can be pretty simple, depending on the type of faucet you have. Start by shutting off the water to the faucet. There’s usually a shutoff valve somewhere nearby. If not, you can always temporarily shut off the water to the entire house and turn it back on again later.
- Unclogging a clogged toilet: The first order of business is not to panic. Instead, become a detective and determine whether or not any foreign object may have ended up in the toilet bowl by accident. Households with young children are very prone to toilets that play host to all manner of toys. If this is the case, you may be able to put on some sturdy gloves and just fish the object out. Use a plunger to clear the toilet.
Skyline Constructions is one of Karnataka’s most trusted names in real estate, something we have achieved through sheer hard work, dedication and resolve.
With a talented and dedicated team of architects and engineers, we have built world-class spaces and has earned the confidence of our clients’ with over 60 completed projects adding up to over four million square feet in industrial, commercial and residential space. To know more visit skylineconstructions.com